Thursday, October 8, 2009

Born in India

I wish I were born in India.
Where people live by the old ways. And they are happy this way.
Where they have arranged marriages, based on their social status, intellectual and aspirations. Where divorce practically does not exist - the divorce rate is ~1%, compared to the US, where it's 50%.

I want to follow traditions. And be proud of them.
I want to paint my face and my arms, wear a sari and dance like they do. I want to have an engagement ceremony with blessings from my parents and all the loved ones. And then the long and tiring wedding with all the imposed gestures, signs, dances, speeches, moments. And I want to be proud of them.

I want to be proud of who I am and where I come from. And I want the others around me to understand and respect that.

Indians love to be Indians. And this, I long for...

No comments:

Post a Comment